How to use lighting in jewelry stores ?
Now, more and more jewelry stores appear in the most prosperous areas of the city. In large shopping malls, jewelry counters also occupy an advantageous position.
Just as flowers need green leaves to set off, no matter how beautiful the jewelry is, it needs good light to set off in order to give off its due brilliance.
The color emitted by the light source itself is the “light source color”, and the color reflected by the jewellery by the light source is generally called the “surface color”. Except for some gems with fluorescent or phosphorescent effects, the jewelry itself does not emit light.
Although natural light is the most ideal light source for appreciating natural gemstones, in actual sales, due to site restrictions, businesses often choose artificial lights for illumination. How to use the appropriate light source to show the value of jewelry has increasingly become a concern for jewelers. When decorating storefronts or counters, some jewelers generally only pay attention to it, which has increasingly become a concern for jewelers. Some jewelers generally only pay attention to the bright enough light when decorating the storefront or counter, so that the overall store feels gorgeous and magnificent, but ignores the proportion of light sources, so that there is no difference between the main and non-subjects of the sales. The jewels placed lack a sense of hierarchy. In addition to unnecessary waste, the high temperature and electromagnetic radiation of too bright light will destroy the color and luster of the object itself, especially on the structure and chemical composition of some organic gems, such as pearls, corals, and amber. . In addition, according to research by psychologists, the dazzling lights will also have an emotional impact on customers and sales personnel in jewelry stores, and also affect the success rate of jewelry transactions.
1 Jewelry’s requirements for lighting
Different jewels need different lights to work together. For example, the lights of gold jewelry, jade and diamonds are very different. When choosing lighting for a jewelry store, factors that need to be considered include light color, lighting level, flicker, temperature, color rendering, infrared, ultraviolet, etc. Of course, it is impossible to take into account all the above factors. Generally, the color temperature, lighting level and flicker degree need to be considered. According to relevant data, jewelry can show the best appearance effect under the light of 3300~5000K color temperature.
Factors that merchants should pay special attention to when choosing a light source: Different lighting levels can distinguish the level and sales subject in the jewelry store; flicker refers to the reflected light emitted by the jewelry when the light shines on the jewelry. When it is prominent, the precious time is more dazzling; and the color rendering refers to the correct color and the clarity reflected by the light on the object. The higher the color rendering, the more detailed the craftsmanship and true color of the jewelry can be portrayed.
The characteristics of jewelry itself have extremely high requirements for light sources, such as:
(1) Very high lumen efficiency (80 Lm/W);
(2) Low heat radiation;
(3) Good color rendering;
(4) Uniform light color, bright and vivid color;
(5) Try to avoid tarnishing textiles and embrittlement of plastics (UV protection);
(6) The light color is constant throughout the effective life;
(7) Not sensitive to temperature changes;
(8) Long service life, economical and durable;
(9) Eye-catching lighting, commonly used light colors: yellow light, neutral white and daylight white.
(10) Ordinary commercial lighting only pays attention to uniformity, comfort, and economy, while jewelry lighting not only pays attention to brightness and display index, but also pays attention to the diversity of color temperature to meet the needs of different types of display products.
Taking diamonds as an example, there are roughly four types of professional light sources used in jewelry stores on the market: tube lamps, metal halide lamps, projection halogen lamps (also called quartz lamps or cup lamps) and diamond halogen lamps.
(1) Tube lamp: Tube lamp is a light source that jewelers must use when jewellery appraisal and purchase. They are only suitable for space lighting in jewelry stores.
(2) Metal halide lamp: strong brightness and high light efficiency. However, the light is too dazzling, the color rendering is poor, and it is easy to distort the color of the diamond, so it is not suitable for the lighting of counters and jewelry windows, but only suitable for high ceilings.
(3) Projection halogen lamp: small and flexible, easy to control. The flicker of diamonds can be presented well, but ordinary halogen lamps have poor color rendering and yellow light, which easily distorts the color of diamonds and has a short service life.
(4) Diamond light halogen lamp (4500K): This is a professional diamond lighting light. The light has a high color rendering effect, and the full-spectrum projection effect is the artificial light source closest to natural light. Under this kind of light, each diamond can emit a dazzling fire with the rotation of people’s sight, better showing the charm of color and cut. Compared with ordinary halogen lamps, it has the advantages of good color rendering and long service life. When used in jewelry lighting, it can show the light of diamond destruction.
In addition, optical fiber and LED have the characteristics of soft light without irritation, rich light color, low heat radiation, and easy concealed installation. They are more suitable for the lighting of jewelry counters. If they can be properly designed and integrated with the illuminated objects, it will play the role of “icing on the cake”.
2 Jewelry Lighting arrangement
The ideal lighting position is at the top and front of the diamond jewelry. At the same time, pay attention to overlapping the light sources so that the diamond can refract and reflect light from all directions. In order to enhance the lighting effect, when the diamond is placed on a darker background, the installation density of the lighting light should be appropriately increased or the distance between the light and the diamond should be shortened.
Special attention should be paid not to let the light be too dazzling and affect the atmosphere of the transaction. Tube lamps and energy-saving lamps should be used as much as possible for diffuse reflection lighting to make indoor light harmonious and create a stable atmosphere. The diamond light halogen lamp can also be used flexibly, taking advantage of its long exposure distance, which not only ensures the bright and eye-catching counter, but also creates a comfortable marketing atmosphere.
Modern professional lighting for jewelry has long surpassed the level of “bright enough”. Reasonable and scientific layout of jewelry lighting can not only save costs and beautify the store, but also indirectly increase the “transaction rate” of the transaction, resulting in a “multiple results with less effort”.
3 Lighting design of jewelry showcase
Jewelry showcases are generally used to display small exquisite items and can be illuminated by spotlights or optical fibers.
Pay attention to the combination of light and color. For example, gold jewelry can be illuminated with cold light cups; while silver products or gem products can be illuminated with daylight cups. Due to heat generation, the heat dissipation of the showcase needs to be considered.
If the engineering cost allows, using fiber optic lighting is also a good choice, the advantage is that it will not bring excessive heat to the showcase.
The lighting design revolves around the principle of not seeing the light, highlighting the displayed items.
Two points should be paid attention to in jewelry showcase lighting:
(1) Bright enough. Of course, “enough” does not mean that the brighter the better. Some jewelry such as gold, platinum, pearls, etc., due to their small size, require high enough illuminance, 2000Lx can be used; while some jewelry, such as jade, crystal, etc., pay attention to softness, and the illuminance does not need to be too high.
(2) Reflect the characteristics. Gold, pearls, and other jewelry that rely entirely on reflecting light, pay attention to the direction of light incidence, so that the reflected “flash point” stimulates the customer’s eyes; jade, crystal and other jewelry that pay attention to light transmission texture must pay attention to light transmission